There is no question that an auto accident probably rates quite high on most people’s list of “worst things that can happen to a person.” However, as scary as the prospect of an accident is, it’s often the aftermath of an accident that turns into the most painful episode to overcome.
One of the reasons for this is that many people fail to realize that injuries don’t always show up right away when an accident occurs. They continue to behave as they normally would in their post-accident activities, which may result in exacerbating a minor injury and making it much worse. No matter how minor the car accident, it’s important to get an overall check-up and x-rays to ensure that there are no injuries which, left untreated, can be the source of premature arthritis, degeneration and significantly affect your future health and wellness.
At Chiropractic First in Wyoming, Michigan, we know how to diagnose and treat injuries sustained in a car accident. In fact, body alignment is Dr. James Heath’s specialty. Dr. Heath has been providing comprehensive chiropractic care for individuals and families in the Wyoming, Grand Rapids and Kentwood areas since 1998. His approach to health, wellness and pain management always focuses on treatment of the “whole person” instead of concentrating merely on symptoms.
Post-Accident Pain Relief with Our Chiropractor for the Surrounding Areas of Wyoming, Grand Rapids, and Kentwood, MI
After an accident, Dr. Heath’s goal is, of course, to provide a way to heal as completely and quickly as quickly as possible. Unfortunately, because of the nature of many accident-induced injuries that are left untreated, pain or discomfort becomes an ongoing problem. By looking not only at the injury itself but at the effects of the injury on the overall physical and emotional health of the patient, Dr. Heath is able to craft a customized plan for long-term pain relief, healing of the injury and effective health maintenance. To help give you a better idea of how this type of wellness and pain management is achieved, here are some of the most frequently asked questions regarding services that a caring, skilled chiropractor like Dr. Heath, can provide in the wake of a car accident:
Auto Accident Injury FAQ’s Answered by Our Wyoming Chiropractor
What Specific Injuries Can a Chiropractor Provide Help For?
One of the most common injuries in car accidents is Whiplash. This can occur when the spine is suddenly thrust forward, as happens when a stationary object is hit by a moving vehicle. Through a series of chiropractic adjustments and physical exercises prescribed by the doctor, the spine can eventually be brought back into alignment, mobility restored and proper healing of the injured tissues. Chiropractic adjustments may also be used to treat injuries anywhere in the spine that result from car accidents.
Can Chiropractic Care Help Relieve Pain?
One of the main reasons that the chiropractic profession has grown so rapidly over the past 20 years is that it has the ability to not just help alleviate the pain but it gets to the cause of the pain. When regular chiropractic adjustments are performed, function of the spine is improved and the body heals more correctly, taking pressure off the nerves that goes to vital organs and tissues, thus improving your health in the process.
What Type of Treatments Are Available at the Chiropractic First Office?
In addition to chiropractic adjustments, Chiropractic First offers a wide range of treatments that aim to provide healthy relief to patients in a holistic way: healing the mind, body and spirit. Available treatments include:
We have a wide range of services we offer. We select complementary services that can best help our patients heal from their underlying health conditions and maximize their health potential. Our holistic services include:
- Chiropractic care – As a Wyoming chiropractor, we offer chiropractic adjustments to correct musculoskeletal imbalances and nurture the nervous system. Chiropractic care can help you recover from a sports injury or auto accident, restore nervous and immune system health, and relieve muscle strains and pains naturally. If you are looking for a treatment method that does not rely on pain medication to help you heal, we invite you to try chiropractic care.
- Activator – For those who have a lot of anxiety about being adjusted, this device allows a gentle, low-force approach to adjustments.
- ArthroStim – Another light force adjustment tool that uses controlled force spinal manipulation.
- Diversified – The quick, firm and shallow thrusting that chiropractors apply by hand to an area of the body. These movements are the most common type of manipulation and are what cause the popping noise often associated with a chiropractic adjustments.
- Drop Technique – Also referred to as the “Thompson Technique”, this type of adjustment allows a very effective full spine approach. It makes use of a customized table with a special section that drops away as the chiropractor uses hand thrusts. The combination of the hand thrusts and the rapid drop movement forces motion towards the area of the body being adjusted, helping to more successfully remove the subluxation.
- Manual Chiropractic Adjustments – A wide variety of hand-thrusting techniques that chiropractors use to correct spinal or joint misalignment and to relieve pain.
- Corrective exercises – To complement your healing, we will introduce corrective exercises to restore strength and mobility to affected muscle tissue. We will demonstrate blueprint exercises you can do at home, which help you maintain correct alignment in between adjustments and build strength. Play an active role in your own healing when you follow our exercise plan.
- Corrective wedges – We use cervical or lumbar wedges to re-establish proper alignment and biomechanics in the neck and lumbar spine areas. Our chiropractor can use the wedges during appointments to support adjustments and show you how to use corrective wedges at home, to further complement healing. When used nightly, corrective wedges can speed your healing and reduce pain and inflammation.
- Massage therapy – Therapeutic massage complements inflammation and injuries with healing touch that increases circulation and drains toxins from muscle tissue. Let our massage therapist soothe your body and your mind, loosen adhesions in muscle and soft tissue, reduce inflammation, and warm up your body to receive chiropractic adjustments by relaxing tight muscle tissue.
- Spinal and postural screenings – Too many people suffer from pain and inflammation and do not find the root cause, a musculoskeletal imbalance. Our chiropractor can perform spinal and postural screenings that check your alignment, find your injuries so we can heal them, and unlock the door to improved mental and physical wellbeing. Receive a spinal and postural screening and learn how we can help you by scheduling a new patient consultation.
Is Chiropractic Care Covered By My Insurance?
In Michigan, Chiropractic is always part of your auto insurance policy, even when you only have no fault insurance. We call in your insurance, verify your benefits, speak to the auto accident liaison with your insurance carrier to make your experience here as smooth as possible.
Our office is in the network of many healthcare providers and we accept most insurance plans. Simply give us a call so we can find out if your specific insurance plan covers care in our office.
Are you ready to experience all of the wonderful benefits of healing the “chiropractic” way? Call today at 616-538-1780 to schedule your introductory appointment!